Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Happy Birthday...



...in heaven, Ginny.


When I write posts about my family it occurs to me how extraordinarily lucky I was. In college, listening to my football teammates berate their drunken and/or abusive dads, I'd joke that I must have had the last non-dysfunctional family in America. My parents loved each other, and everybody adored me. That's not ego talking; they simply made it clear in their behavior toward me. My sisters were two very different personalities (as I note briefly in the eulogy linked above), but I knew they both loved me and, perhaps more important, not for one moment did I sense the resentments they probably should have had, given that my parents were impoverished when the girls were young, only began to see their way clear when I came along, and thus showered me, their only son, with new toys, nice clothes, their free time, etc.


So the question arises: Why did I turn out to be the monumentally disaffected f**k-up that I am?

Anyway, thanks again, Ginny. You were a second mother to me. You tried...


2 comments:

RevRon's Rants said...

"Why did I turn out to be the monumentally disaffected f**k-up that I am?"

Because you were predestined to turn out that way, Steve. But hey... you're OUR monumentally disaffected f**k-up! Whatever part Ginny played in your unfolding, the results are alternately infuriating, endearing, or just plain funny. Welcome to the human race. :-)

a/good/lysstener said...

You were a lucky little boy, Steve. I don't know what you mean by "disaffected f**k-up." My sense is that you've always been lucky.

My thoughts are with you and your family on this wistful occasion.